King Shaka International Airport is located approximately 35km north of Durban in La Mercy, KwaZulu-Natal. The airport opened in 2010 in preparation for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. If it’s your first time flying with this airport, we’ve got you covered with everything you need to know before embarking.
- The airport offers a Premium and Luxury Lounge offering travellers a comfortable place to wait for their plane to depart and get some work done. Their lounges may include complimentary food and beverages, televisions and newspapers, shower and networking facilities.
- Furthermore, the airport has various clothing, health & beauty, book and art stores as well as banking and Forex facilities.
Facts about the airport:
- Runway length: 3 700m
- Passenger capacity: 7.5 million passengers per annum
- Ultimate capacity: 45 million passengers 2060
- Vehicle parking bays: 6 500
- Air traffic control facilities, cargo facility, wastewater treatment plant
- Terminal area: 103 000 square metres
Accommodation in the area
- De Charmoy Estate Guest House – 6.7km/approximately 9minutes away
- La Mercy Beach Hotel – 11.8km/approximately 12 minutes away
- Bellamont – 10.1km/approximately 12 minutes away
- Le-Peng Guest house – 15.9km/17 minutes away
- Crooked Tree Cottage – 17.0km/approximately 19 minutes away
- La Loggia Bed and Breakfast – 19.4km/approximately 19 minutes away
Food establishments at the airport:
- You’ll find anything from a Cape Town Fish Market to a Spur at the airport. If you’re in the mood for something healthy you can always stop at the Kauai. If you’re in the mood for something a little more sinful, make a stop at Milky Lane, Sweet Treat or Cosmic Candy. Kindly note that the restaurants mentioned in this article are subject to change.
Restaurants near the airport:
- Ile Maurice – 16.4km/approximately 17 minutes away
- Little Havana – 16.3km/approximately 18 minutes away
- Olive & Oil Umhlanga – 16.3km/approximately 18 minutes away
- Bel Punto – 9.9km/approximately 12 minutes away
- When using the ATM, practice caution and never accept when a stranger offers to assist you with your transaction.
- When you’re using a credit card at restaurants, ask the server to bring a card machine to you.
- Only use credible tour operators and transport services such as Magic Transfers, for example.
- If you have goods to declare at the customs office, you must complete a Traveller Card and make a verbal declaration of your goods to a customs officer.
Medical facilities close to the airport:
- Victoria Hospital Mediclinic – 8.6km/approximately 12 minutes away
- The local choice pharmacy – 9.7km/approximately 14 minutes away
- Medigate Medical centre 2 – 18.3km/approximately 18 minutes away
Getting to the airport
Magic Transfers can take people from their homes or offices to King Shaka International Airport swiftly and comfortably. No matter where we can take you there. Contact us to book your shuttle.